LL.M., Banking & Financial Law, Boston University School of Law
J.D., George Mason University School of Law
B.A., Economics and International Relations, Tufts University
District of Columbia
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
Farhad Alavi is Managing Partner of Akrivis Law Group, PLLC. His practice focuses on complex trade issues centered on US national security, including U.S. sanctions, export controls, anti-corruption regulations, and compliance, as well as multinational transactions, investment, banking & finance matters. Mr. Alavi’s clients include major multinational companies around the world, small and medium businesses, and high net worth individuals. He is also an Adjunct Professor of Law at Georgetown University Law Center.
Prior to founding Akrivis, Mr. Alavi had worked as an attorney at prominent global firms in Washington, including Baker & McKenzie LLP and Holland & Knight LLP, where he helped establish that firm’s Abu Dhabi office.
Mr. Alavi’s experience spans international sanctions, export controls, customs, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). He advises clients regularly before the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and U.S. Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry & Security (BIS) and on related enforcement and defense (civil & criminal) matters related to U.S. sanctions and export controls.
Mr. Alavi’s corporate law experience spans a range of such areas such as international joint venture, distribution, and financing agreements. He has particular experience in the energy, defense, finance, and hospitality sectors, and is particularly well-versed on issues related to key emerging and frontier markets, with emphasis on the MENA region and Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) states.
Mr. Alavi is often quoted by and/or cited in top international and trade publications and news agencies around the world such as The New York Times, CNN Money, AFP, Bloomberg, Financial Times, The Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Georgetown Journal of International Law, and has appeared on the BBC, Al Jazeera English & Arabic, CGTN America, BBC Persian, Voice of America (VOA) Persian, and Al-Hurra, among others. He also regularly lectures on trade compliance matters in the United States, Europe, and the Middle East.
Born and raised in Virginia, Mr. Alavi is fluent in Persian (Farsi) and Spanish, and has knowledge of German, Arabic, and Turkish. He also maintains the U.S. Sanctions weblog. Mr. Alavi has served on the national Board of Directors of the Iranian-American Bar Association (IABA). He is also a member o the American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham) Abu Dhabi Chapter.
Recent Legal Engagements:
- Successfully petitioned the removal of an Asian company from the BIS Entity List
- Building a “ground-up” comprehensive trade compliance policy for a major U.S.-based international retailer
- Advising a major Asian bank’s Dubai and Singapore operations on complex OFAC compliance issues
Recent Speaking Engagements and Course Lectures:
- Presented U.S. Sanctions – Developments, Challenges, and Compliance Approaches (co-panelist with Mercedeh Azeredo da Silveira, Managing Partner, AZHA Avocats), Geneva, Switzerland, January 16, 2020
- Presented Sanctions and Export Controls – Developments, Challenges & Compliance Approaches, (co-panelist with Camilla Collett, Partner & Ida Otzen, Associate, Gorrisen Federspiel), Copenhagen, Denmark, April 8, 2019
- Presented U.S. Sanctions & Export Controls Update, American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham) Abu Dhabi chapter, Abu Dhabi, December 12, 2018
- Presented U.S. Sanctions Update, promoted by the American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham) Abu Dhabi chapter, Dubai, October 18, 2017
- Presented The Iran Sanctions Regime and Remaining Challenges: The US Perspective, (co-panelist with Camilla Collett, Partner, Gorrisen Federspiel), University of Copenhagen Faculty of Law, Copenhagen, Denmark, April 3, 2017
- Panelist, Managing Anti-Bribery Risks and Maintaining Internal Controls for Non-US Subsidiaries without Violating US Sanctions, Anti-Corruption Compliance in High Risk Markets, American Conference Institute, Washington, July 21, 2016
- Presented Sanctions Update, American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham) Abu Dhabi chapter, Abu Dhabi, May 22, 2016
- Presented Roundtable Discussion on the U.S. Sanctions Regime and Iranian Political Economy, The Delma Institute, Abu Dhabi, May 11, 2016
- Panelist, Fireside Chat: Risks and Rewards of Doing Business in Post-Deal Iran, Harvard Iranian Weekend, Harvard University, Cambridge, April 2, 2016
- Presented Iran Sanctions: Impact on U.S. and International Transactions Post-Nuclear Deal, Seminar Co-Hosted with Al Tamimi & Co. (represented by Andrew Hudson, Financial Crime practice), Dubai, February 24, 2016
- Panelist, Dealing with State Monopolies and Inhisarat, ACI FCPA Bootcamp, Houston, January 26, 2016.
- Presented Sharia-Compliant Legal Structures in International Investments, University of Dubai, May 10, 2015
- Co-Presented Economic Sanctions on Iran and Anti-Corruption Regulations / U.S. and UAE Perspectives, Seminar Co-Hosted with Al Tamimi & Co. (represented by Ibtissam Lassoued, Partner, Financial Crime practice), Abu Dhabi, February 10, 2015
- Presented Economic Sanctions Against Iran: The U.S. Perspective, Seminar Co-Hosted with Al Tamimi & Co. (represented by I. Lassoued, Partner, Dubai, February 25, 2014