Compliance, Licensing, and Litigation Defense Across All Facets of International Trade
Our experienced team can help you navigate complex U.S. trade regulations, from defending in enforcement actions to providing day to day compliance advice in the following areas:
- Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctions
- Bureau of Industry & Security (BIS) Export Administration Regulations (EAR)
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) export controls
- FCPA / Anti-Corruption
- CFIUS Filings/Disclosures and Compliance
- International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) compliance
- Civil and criminal investigations and enforcement of sanctions violations, including white collar defense and litigation
Economic Sanctions & Export Controls Practice – Compliance Licensing, Defense, and Delisting
Akrivis maintains one of the United States’ preeminent practices in the economic sanctions field, offering unique insights from our exceptionally large caseload, and extensive experience gained by our lawyers on sanctions matters, some while working in some of the world’s largest, most prestigious law firms. Given the close tie between economic sanctions and export controls to U.S. national security policy, these regulations are increasingly important and change frequently – often on a weekly basis. Our vast experience in this area as well as international commercial law can be particularly helpful for those companies seeking to ensure full compliance with U.S. law.
Our finger is on the pulse of this ever-changing area of law and we represent clients large and small before OFAC regularly. Partner Farhad Alavi speaks internationally on sanctions matters, appearing regularly on international media such as the BBC, Al Jazeera, and CGTN, and is often quoted in major media outlets such as The New York Times, Financial Times, Washington Post, and the Wall Street Journal.
Whether your concerns and priorities relate to OFAC, BIS or other trade regulations, Akrivis can help you meet your compliance and enforcement needs, such as:
- Obtaining OFAC licenses for transactions involving sanctioned countries and entities
- Sanctions Enforcement (Civil & Criminal) and Defense & Voluntary Self-Disclosures (VSDs)
- Internal Corporate Investigations and Corporate Programs
- OFAC SDN Removal
- Release of OFAC-Blocked Funds
- International Wire Transfer and Anti-Money Laundering (AML) related issues
- BIS Entity List & Unverified List Removal
Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
Compliance with anti-corruption laws is a keystone for doing effective business overseas. With increasing overseas business opportunities and the expansion of OECD and other directives against corruption, anti-corruption is no longer simply an issue of corporate social responsibility but a legal obligation. This is heightened by intensifying enforcement of FCPA by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ). We regularly advise clients on FCPA and Anti-Corruption matters.